Today seems like a bright day, so we want to talk about something insightful. Some Cancer Fighting Foods that go a long way to help you battle with the tough condition. But first lets get to know what Cancer really is and what usually causes Cancer in humans.
What Is Cancer?
Would have been a good idea to delve in much deeper because Cancer itself is a broad topic that needs much attention. But the intent of this article is to advice people who already have this condition on some cancer fighting foods that you may probably have at home but you may not be utilizing out of ignorance.
Well then, Cancer is one of the top world ranked disease in which abnormal cells of the body divide uncontrollably and destroy body tissue. As this may sound very simple, the disease is very much serious yet controllable. There are hundreds of types of cancer and some new ones are still being discovered. But there are four main classifications of Cancer.
Four Main Types Of Cancer:
- Carcinomas. A carcinoma begins in the skin or the tissue that covers the surface of internal organs and glands. Carcinomas usually form solid tumors. They are the most common type of cancer. Examples of carcinomas include prostate cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, and colorectal cancer.
- Sarcomas. A sarcoma begins in the tissues that support and connect the body. A sarcoma can develop in fat, muscles, nerves, tendons, joints, blood vessels, lymph vessels, cartilage, or bone.
- Leukemias. Leukemia is a cancer of the blood. Leukemia begins when healthy blood cells change and grow uncontrollably. The 4 main types of leukemia are acute lymphocytic leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, and chronic myeloid leukemia.
- Lymphomas. Lymphoma is a cancer that begins in the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is a network of vessels and glands that help fight infection. There are 2 main types of lymphomas: Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
All these types are classified based on how the disease starts and where it forms. Thus Skin ,Tissues , Blood And the Lymphatic System.
Now that we know a little bit about cancer, lets dive into some causes of cancer. For those who already have this condition, you can see it as a reference to try and pin-point what exactly you did that might have caused it. ANd for those that are not affected, maybe this is the time to realize and move away from some activities and foods that is believed to cause cancer.
Some Cancer Causing Foods To Stay Away From:
Yes, Alcohol It’s a good thing that i started with alcohol. Because most people turn a blind eye to this. Alcohol does have an effect on your chances to get cancer. However the cancer risk associated with alcohol is thought to be dose dependent in some forms of cancer. In simple terms, consuming one glass of wine with dinner every once in a while does not have as much of a negative effect as consuming several glasses or bottle of alcohol in at a sitting.
2. Fast Foods / Canned or Processed Foods
3. Red meat
4. Processed meat
These may not be all, but remember to ask your doctor why these were not included in their list because most people simply ignore these which is really bad. Now lets move on the main course fo today. Some Cancer fighting foods that you probably didn’t know about. Take this opportunity and utilize it. It may go a long way to help you fight it.
Some Cancer Fighting Foods
First we need to understand what Phytochemicals are , because they are the primary agents that help to fight cancer. Phytochemicals are chemicals found in plant foods that may help prevent diseases such as cancer. There is no one food that can fight cancer, but eating a diet high in plants and phytochemicals can help reduce your risk. Some potential benefits of phytochemicals include:
- Reducing inflammation
- Preventing damage to your DNA
- Repairing your DNA
- Strengthening your immune system
- Regulating your hormones
- Preventing damaged cells from reproducing
Berries are naturally sweet but low in sugar and contain a lot of different phytochemicals that can help protect your body from cell damage that leads to cancer. Know that berries are a delicious way to add phytochemicals to your diet. Enjoy some in a smoothie or sprinkle some in your salad. Some of the phytochemicals found in berries are:
- Anthocyanins (found in blue and purple berries), which are phytochemicals that help reduce inflammation and protect your brain
- Ellagic acid, which has anti-tumor properties and helps neutralize substances that cause cancer
- Pterostilbene, which is a powerful antioxidant and helps reduce inflammation
Kale is part of the cruciferous family of vegetables, which also includes broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. It also contains lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamins C, E, and K. These are vitamins and phytochemicals that help your body absorb iron. They also bind to bad cholesterol to help your body get rid of it. Kale also contains the phytochemical glucosinolate which can cause cell death in tumors.
Onions belong to the allium family of vegetables, which includes garlic and leeks as well. Alliums, along with cruciferous vegetables, are among the two best cancer-fighting vegetable families. Dioxin is a type of cancer-causing toxin found in cigarette smoke, exhaust fumes, cooked meat, fish, and dairy. One tablespoon of raw, red onions contains phytonutrients that have been shown to cut dioxin toxicity in half.
Turmeric is an Indian spice often used in curry dishes. Tumeric’s bright yellow color comes from curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant. More than 5000 articles have been published in medical journals about tumeric. Curcumin has been shown to kill tumor cells in a variety of ways. Most substances that prevent cancer either stop cancer from forming in the first place or prevent it from spreading. Tumeric does both.
The red pigment in beets comes from betacyanin. This phytochemical could protect against the development of cancer cells. It also may help reduce inflammation that can lead to cancer. Beets also contain 4 grams of fiber per cup, which can help lower your cancer risk. Beets can be cooked and enjoyed in a variety of ways, including steamed, pickled, roasted, boiled, or raw.
There is a persistent myth that soy products increase the risk of developing cancer, but that’s not true. Isoflavones actually suppress tumors. Isoflavones may also be able to turn on genes that slow the growth of cancer cells and cause them to self-destruct. In studies of what people eat, there is no link to increased cancer among people who eat soy. There may be some link between eating soy and a decreased risk of breast cancer and of lung cancer in people in nonsmokers.
Whole grain kernels contain the bran, germ, and endosperm, unlike refined grains, which only contain the starchy endosperm. They contain phytochemicals and essential minerals such as magnesium, selenium, and copper. A meta-analysis of the diets of 786,000 people found that eating 7 grams of whole grains was associated with a 20 percent decrease in the risk of dying from cancer. Whole grains are also high in fiber, hence linked to lower rates of cancer.
Spinach is a load of nutrients that offer numerous health benefits. It’s rich in the following compounds:
- Vitamin K, which helps with blood clotting
- Carotenoids, which are antioxidants that may help fight cancer
- Folate, which helps with DNA formation and repair
- Glycoglycerolipids, which may be particularly beneficial against prostate, breast, and stomach cancer
These items are only a few to list There are a lot of foods that hep fight cancer too. The Daily Nubs strives to provide the most relevant content. Please Do well to research more on the topic and use this knowledge for your benefit and to others. Never think it is the end simply because you find your self in such a condition. There is always a way out. And remember, a positive mindset is the start of great acheivements.